Serving Size: 30
6 tablespoon of olive oil
2⁄3 cup of panko bread crumbs
1 cup basil
2⁄3 cup of sundried tomatoes
3⁄4 cup of parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon of dried oregano
2 cans of chickpeas
1 can of San Marzano Plum Tomatoes
2 tablespoon of tomato paste
2 loaves of whole wheat baguette, halved and cut into squares
1 pack of arugula
1 tablespoon of lemon (juice)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Sauté 1 tablespoon of olive oil and minced garlic (6 cloves) until brown.
- To a blender or food processor add cooked garlic, panko bread crumbs, 2/3 cups of bail, sundried tomatoes, and 2/3 cups of parmesan cheese, a pinch of salt, red pepper flakes, and 1.5 tablespoon of olive oil, then blend until small bits remain.
- Add rinsed/drained chickpeas and blend/pulse until a moldable “dough” is formed.
- Scoop out rounded 1 tablespoon amounts of dough and form meatballs.
- Reheat skillet and add a little olive oil. Once hot, add the meatballs and brown for about 5 minutes (may be done in several batches).
- Place meatballs on baking sheet and transfer to oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- Blend 1/4 cup of olive oil with 2 cloves of garlic.
- Brush olive oil garlic mixture onto bread. then toast bread in oven until done (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat a small amount of olive oil in a large sauté pan.
- Add 3 cloves, chopped garlic and onion and sauté until browned.
- Add salt, pepper, tomato paste, and oregano and heat on medium for about 2 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add canned tomatoes and handful of basil and turn to simmer as meatballs and garlic bread cook.
- Toss arugula with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste then set aside.
- Serve by placing meatball on top of garlic bread square. Top with tomato sauce, grated parmesan cheese, and basil. Serve with arugula salad on side.